10 October 2007

Sun, Moon and Stars

In the light of recent events, I've been thinking a lot about who we are to each other, and how we see the world around us. Over the last few days, a policeman violently killed a group of young people at a party. Today, a 14 year old student shot five classmates and teachers in Ohio. It seems many among us now believe guns are a better alternative than words. How have we let this happen? Do we not notice when someone near us is in so much pain they would see shooting as a viable option? Have we become so self-involved, and blind to those around us? Are we bound by fear, too timid to try to help another? Why is this world spinning so out of control? Why isn't anyone working to fix this, instead of butting our heads into distant civil wars?

Every morning, I arrive at work an hour early. Nuts, I know, but that's another post. I like to be there, all alone, to stand in the open and look at the sky and park around me. Sometimes, the full moon is so bright that I can unlock all the gates by its light -- I think I may even be able to read if I wanted to strain my eyes a bit. With the current new moon, the abundant stars shine more brightly than normal. I walk through the woods to the office under a blanket of black velvet, pierced with starlight, and I stop to say thankyou. I try to pause, to truly see the world around me. I consider my role here and how I can improve myself enough to be worthy of all that has been given me, to be worthy of the very earth that surrounds and supports me. That, of course, isn't possible, but I can always strive to improve -- again, that's another post ;)

It makes me feel small to stand under the stars, thinking about all the energy and commotion in deep space. I know that my life, my issues, my worries are insignificant, and I try to think about the deeper meaning of life. In this life, all I can hope to be is a light of love and peace for those around me; a light I choose to reflect like the moon.

The stars shine from the heat of their own fire, the fusion of elements deep within their cores. Over great time spans, very large stars super nova, burn out and become black holes, consuming everything in the stellar neighborhood.

Our moon shines as well, but with reflected light from Solaris. The sun, which defines our days also lights our darkest nights. A medium-sized star, it will never supernova, though it may become a red giant, then a dim white dwarf. The less instense rays of this start bounce off our satellite moon and guide us through the night.

How much better to reflect the light of others than to be consumed with fire from within.

What does that mean in your life?

No comments:

International Coastal Clean-Up!

The 2008 Coastal Clean-Up on Santa Rosa Island was a great success, but we can work together to make everyday a Coastal Clean-up Day... Help us keep our beaches beautiful!

For details on the 2009 coastal clean-up efforts in Pensacola or in your area, or other ways you can help, click here.

Hello World!

Hello World!
Which way to the sea?